Sunday, July 15, 2007

Box Card Tutorial




These are some box card that I made, not sure if that is the correct name but that is what I call them. They are simple to make, just a few folds and WHALA, Kids love these cards, you can also make them to hold gift certificates or the standby CASH. I stamped these and used some stickers on them also. These are my boy ones . You can work with plain paper and stamp it or use a sheet of designer/pattern paper. I used pattern paper for this tutorial so it would be easy to see the outside (right side) and inside (wrong side) of the card, but there really is no wrong side.

This is my first tutorial so if something is not clear please let me know and I will correct it

Use an 8 ½ x 11 inch sheet of paper (do not use cardstock) The paper can be plain, stamped or patterned.








1. With the inside (wrong) side of the paper facing you, fold in half length wise.












2. Open the paper up and then in half width wise.



3. Turn the paper over so that the outside (right ) side of paper is facing you and fold from the corners in along the center line , on all 4 corners.











4. Turn paper back around so that the inside(wrong) side of paper is facing you
5. Fold in the long side of the paper into the center of the paper, do this on both sides, so that now you have both long sides (11" side) folded into the center line.








When done it should look like the first picutre below in #6.

6. With your hand holding down the center, fold the other half of the paper across, this will create “wings” on the card, as in the final two pictures below



















7. Fold in the "wings” of the flap














8. Fold back the flap (this is the "white" that is showing in the picture above)










9. Repeats steps 6 through 8 on the other side.
10. You now have your box.

































11. Cut a strip of card stock, can be plain or stamped, long enough and wide enough to cover the “flaps” showing on the top of the card, adhere this to the card (white cardstock in the photo)
12. Cut another piece of paper, does not have to be cardstock smaller that the first to adhere to the top of your first piece (orange paper in the photo).

13. Cut a 4 ¼ square piece of cardstock to place in the bottom of the card for stability

OK, that is it. It is really a simple fold, when I am doing these cards I usually do about 10 at a time. I don’t decorate or finish I just fold 10 papers because I keep forgetting the folds, so this way I have a stash when I need a quick kids card.


If there is anything you don't understand please email me, this is my first tutorial so I might not have made the instructions clear.


A special Thank You to Cynthia. She did the folding while I took the pictures.

43 comments:

Paula said...

Thanks for posting this, it looks like a cool card. I am going to try this when I get done cleaning up after dinner. I like the idea of opening it up to find something neet-o inside!

Mrs. Nancy G said...

Very cool design! Neat card that's for sure!
:-)

Unknown said...

wow.... you call that simple??!!! =) Wonder if i should even try....=)

Michele Kovack said...

These are awesome! I will have to print this out so I can follow it step by step!

Heather said...

Definitely create more tutorials- what a neat idea- thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

neat tutorial! Thanks for sharing!!!

Little C's Creations said...

10-Q, 10-Q, 10-Q!!!! I have been tryin' to figure out this card that I received just like this one. You did it for me.

Plenty of Hugs,
Jen

Debby said...

your cards look amazing and so is this tutorial TFS!!!

Anonymous said...

well done for starting a blog...something I keep meaning to do!! probably belong to the same generation as you!great tutorial!

Anna said...

Surprise! Love this! Thank for sharing, just wish I had time to do it....

Bethany Paull said...

These card boxes are really great. I love the surpise lizard inside.

emilia in Taiwan said...

The tutorial is wonderful and very clear! Tks!! I gotta try this out!

Wanda said...

Fabulous tutorial.
P.S. Can I have Tiger? He looks like the cat Peake I had many years ago.

Corie said...

Love this idea. Great job on the tutorial!!!!! Very clear instuctions.

Abra Leah Cross said...

I've never seen these before! What a great idea!! I can't wait to try - thanks for the brilliant tutorial. :)

michelle sturgeon said...

This is so cool!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! how clever and fun. I just love it... what a fab idea. Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial with us. I know my grandson would love one of these and they would be great to put little goodies in :)

Deborah said...

Great directions! So nice of you to share the process with us! You are a star! TFS- Deb G.~

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Awesome tutorial, and what a great card!

Elizabeth Royalty said...

Thanks for sharing that awesome tutorial! I've never seen a card like that before, and I LOVE it!

Rita said...

Wow, great card. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for posting these directions, these are fabulous cards!
Melx

Stampernmore said...

thanks for the directions, this looks like a great idea!

Monica Gale said...

Wowzee those cards are just fabulos!!What a great blog you ve got,thanks for leaving a comment on mine cos now I found yours!!((HUGS))MONICA

Anonymous said...

Awesome 1st tutorial!! I can't wait to try my own (I'm a visual person and so thankful for the pictures!!!)

Stampindamour said...

Great tutorial!! I will have to sample it!

LOVE your CARDS!! They are AMAZING! No wonder your Blog is very popular!!I'll have to check back again! :0)

-pamela

Anonymous said...

Wow, Thanks for posting this tutorial, Flossie! What a cool looking card technique!

Maria said...

Wow great tutorial! I love it. It's something I need to try one day. Thank you for posting the tutorial. Well done!

Maria

Misty said...

Wonderful tutorial. Love your cards too!

Gillian said...

Wonderful Tutorial :O)
Thankyou so much, adding to my 'try it' list :O)

NormaJ said...

I am going to try this technique,
when I wake up at a normal time of the morning. Thanks for taking the time to showcase it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tutorial !

Heather Robinson said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. They are great cards!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial. I can tell that you put a lot of work into it. And I LOVE the cards!

Rochelle W said...

This is the coolest card ever!! I love this fold. Thanks for the directions too.

Unknown said...

got one of these about a year ago and never knew how she made it...thanks for the great instructions.

Swamp Tulip said...

Great tutorial.

Teresa

Anonymous said...

Great hands!!!!

Unknown said...

What a great tutorial!! Thanks for sharing the details! :)

Carrie Gaskin said...

I LOVE YOU! This is so great! Thanks for sharing...

giulyana said...

Thank you for this tutorial...Great card...

deb said...

I love your card designs. And thanks for this tutorial! How cool.. I've never seen a card like that.

Thanks for entering my giveaway and visiting my blog!

Alli Miles said...

this is a fantastic tutorial!!!